Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Return of Rainbows

The Return
of Rainbows

Driving down Alexander,
(early morning rush hour)
lecture on documentary film.
Eager for knowledge, I noted
low, broad bands of colour
spanning the sky above Uni.
Ignoring the grey clouds,
I welcomed the return
of rainbows to my life.


----------------------------------------

This piece introduces the first section of my book 'Hidden Capacity ~ a poet's journey' called "the Return of Rainbows", taken from my chapbook of the same name, written in my first year of University at the age of 48.

It's a cerebral celebration of how I felt when exposed to a wealth of knowledge and the company of learned people. Surrounded by 18 year olds fresh from school, I was sometimes intimidated, always excited and thirsty - I wholeheartedly recommend a return to study for anyone who is thinking about it.

This poem came to me literally whilst driving to University, down Alexander Drive and the sky was full of threatening rain clouds. But I was so full of anticipation of what I was about to learn in my Documentary Class, I ignored all the greyness around me and only saw rainbows returning to my life after some very hard and heart-breaking times...





No comments:

Post a Comment